Eco Church – at St Paul with All Saints
Eco Church is a learning community of churches of all shapes and sizes. It provides a framework to support churches and its leadership to take practical action on caring for God’s earth.
We believe in a living God, who made the world, loves it and entrusts it to the care of human society. We are very proud to be working towards becoming an Eco Church.
We are grateful to Elizabeth Trice who has been working with Eco Church and Woodlands trust to develop a management plan for our Church to create biodiverse habitat that species can use as a steppingstone between the sparce managed green spaces in the area. This includes:
- Planting small fruit trees at the front of the church
- Adding bird boxes to the memorial garden
- Working with the project to build compost piles and bug hotel in the project garden and develop the raised beds and planters.
- Developing the area alongside the church hall, clearing the rubbish and overgrowth and planting with specially chosen species to increase biodiversity and minimise maintenance. Add bird boxes and plant a hedgerow in the autumn.
- Along the wasteland at the side of the church further bird boxes, hedgehog house and bug hotels are to be built.
- In the prayer garden, a barrel pond, thin hedge, bird boxes and additional planting.
The full management plan can be accessed here : All Saints Eco Church Management Plan 2023
On 22nd April 2023 Elizabeth Trice received the great news that All Saints Church has been awarded £2,250 by the Woodland Trust.
This is part of their ‘Igniting Innovation Challenge’ to support our Eco project to not only boost local biodiversity and wildlife connectivity but also improve the local community and give people the opportunity to access wildlife and nature.
From 3rd to 11th June 2023 we will be surveying the church memorial garden, as part of the ‘Churches Count on Nature’ scheme, volunteers are needed! The surveying will only last an hour a day, from 11 to 12 am if possible.
Elizabeth will supply ID and recording sheet for volunteers that would like to come along and help.
The Woodland Trust are also planning to send us trees to plant in November.
You can read full details of the proposals here: All Saints Eco Church Management Plan 2023